Soar like a bird, zip through paradise
By Mar-Vic Cagurangan
Get a bird’s-eye view of the mountain forest and Tumon Bay. Get your adrenaline rush through an adventure that is as close as you can get to flying. Thrill-seekers on Guam may now experience zipping through paradise.
Zip Guam Inc. recently opened the two-part zip lines within the property of the Hilton Resort & Spa, offering a new attraction right in the heart of the island’s tourist district.
Trevor Takasu, president of Zip Guam, said Tumon Bay is the perfect location for the new outdoor adventure.
“I didn’t want it to be too far away; people don’t want to travel 20 to 30 minutes here on Guam,” said Takasu, who conceptualized the project two years ago. “I wanted it to be close to the ocean and easy access to locals and tourists.”
The two zip lines — one by the road and mountainside and the other by the ocean side — have three courses each, with varying lengths ranging from 220 to 550 feet. Zip liners launch from one steel platform to another and can be anywhere from 20- to 25-feet off the ground.
Zip Guam, however, reserves the right to refuse a customer for safety reasons. “There are certain things that people can and can’t do,” Takasu said.
Zip Guam discourages people with heart conditions, who have been drinking, and are “too heavy” from zipping lest they put their lives in danger, Takasu said. “We are very cautious. Even though it’s very safe, we have to make sure that people understand the potential risks if they have certain conditions.”
Adult 18 and older: $47
Teen 12 to 17: $40
Kids 6 to 11: $33
- Be able to walk 15 minutes uphill over uneven ground unassisted and without walking aids and have sufficient mobility and strength to climb a 25 ft (8m) stairwell unassisted.
- Weigh less than 280 pounds (127 kilos)
- Fit in the equipment (harness, helmet and gloves) in a safe manner as determined by the Head Guide (maximum waist measurement 47” = 120cm), (maximum thigh measurement 27” = 70cm), and (maximum head diameter 24” = 61cm).
- Because body weight affects the crossing speed on the traverses and excessive speed can result in injuries, guests may be asked to weigh in prior to participation.
- Be able to be on a small platform approximately 3 ‘stories’ high without experiencing excessive anxiety or reactions such as dizziness, fainting, hyperventilation, unresponsiveness or vomiting.
- Be at least 6 years of age and have a torso length of at least (18” = 45cm). Children under legal age (18) must be accompanied by an adult. There is no maximum age.
- Be able to understand directions and comply with rules.
- The tour is not recommended for persons with asthma, balance problems, epilepsy, heart problems, some disabilities, back, neck or shoulder problems or those who are pregnant.
- Intoxicated persons or persons using drugs or medications that may affect balance, concentration, coordination or judgment, may not participate.
- Refer to our Policy & Procedures Manual section on “Physically & Mentally Challenged Guests” to see eligibility.
- Please understand that Zip Guam does not discriminate against physical and mentally challenged customers. For guest who cannot perform all tasks, could put our staff and tour leaders at ZipGuam in potential danger.
Want to save money on Guam?
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.